Sider Family Blog

Boy (Brad) meets girl (Pam). Boy and girl get married (1999). Boy and girl have a baby (Lily, 2002), and another (Ella, 2005), and another (Abigail, 2008), and another (Levi, 2009). Boy and girl get a dog (Charlie Brown, 2010). Boy and girl and kids and dog live in Toronto. Boy works at Evergreen (Yonge Street Mission). Girl stays at home with the kids and works part-time at Starbucks. And they all live happily ever after...

Monday, March 07, 2011

Working Overtime

Everyone is hard at work!  Brad took today and tomorrow off to get the last little bit on the basement done before we call someone in to do the taping and mudding.  He also spent most of Saturday working too.  We are getting closer everyday!  I can almost picture ourselves settled down there, reclaiming the space, and s-p-r-e-a-d-i-n-g  o-u-t!!  That means more space on our main floor, which we've been living nice and cozy with all seven of us, along with Charlie Brown.  I can hardly believe that we still entertain people through all this.  I suppose I should start looking at some paint.  I'm pretty sure that once Brad is done this week, the rest of the basement is handed over to me, paint, carpet, furniture, pictures, etc.  I'm looking forward to it.

In my last post I was complaining about my to-do list, but I think I've figured it out.  I just have everyone clean up their own mess!  I'm sure no one has ever thought of that before, but its marvelous!  And so far so good. 

Kitchen: dishes are cleaned after every meal.  The kids are responsible for clearing their dishes, and the adult who made the meal is in charge of cleaning the bigger dishes.  We've figured out the best time to run the dishwasher is right after breakfast dishes have been cleaned.  With all the people eating at the house, we normally only run it once a day, hand washing all the rest of the stuff that doesn't fit. 

Laundry: I'm still in charge of that.  I wash and fold, but everyone is responsible for putting away their own clothes... even Brad. 

Bedrooms:  The kids are also asked to spend time cleaning their room for 15 minutes.  The room is normally clean faster than that, but the kids like to beat the clock.  I'm not looking for perfection, but I just don't want to be stepping on anything when I walk in their room.  The toys don't need to be organized (until we move the girls downstairs!), but they need to be in the right area, not scattered all over the place.  The girls are responsible for tidying their beds too, which means Brad and I need to as well.  We've decided that whoever gets out of bed last makes the bed.  That's normally me anyway, but not today! 

Bathrooms: During my nighttime routine, I give everything a good wipe down.  This keeps it looking nice everyday and I'll do a good scrub once a week where ever it fits in. 

Wow, sounds like I have a pretty messy house!  Which, I know I don't.  My neat-freak personallity means that I always see something that needs to be cleaned, organized and straightened.  I've tried to give that up.  With all the people in the house, it's just too much responsibility to carry all by myself.  So, I don't.  This is a lot more manageable.

 
Joan, I'm NOT pregnant!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha! awesome. :)

10:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home